Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Almost got scammed

Just wanna share my experience that I had when I was trying to sell something off on Mudah.my. Mudah is a portal which allows you to post up free advertisement to sell or to rent out your goods. JH and I just bought new phones last weekend so he thought of selling off his old iPhone 5 through Mudah. We posted an advertisement on Sunday and guess what? We received calls and messages from more than 20 people within 2 hours. That was crazy. It was beyond our expectation and we managed to close the deal with a Malay uncle on Monday night. So we thought, hey, why not sell other goods that we don't use anymore?

So we posted up an advertisement of a Huawei MediaPad 7 Youth 2 tablet and someone did send me a message. I replied that person via e-mail and he was asking if I could help him check the postage fee to Lagos, Nigeria because he wanted to post the device to his son as a birthday gift. Plus he also mentioned that he is currently in the UK. *Scam alert!* I did google the postage fee and Google literally saved me because the title 'SCAMS! Don't ship to Nigeria' caught my attention, so I clicked onto the link. It turns out that there had been cases of scams happening over the years and I was lucky enough to realise it before anything unfortunate happens.

According to the people who were scammed, the scammer would inform the seller that they have already transferred the money to the seller's PayPal account. Subsequently the seller would receive a fake e-mail (which looks real because it has the seller's information and also the PayPal logo in that e-mail) from 'PayPal' confirming the transfer. The seller would then dispatch the goods. End of story.


The SMS which I had received earlier.

His reply in e-mail after I contacted him via e-mail.

A friend of mine just sent me two voice recordings on Whatsapp regarding scams through calls. The latest technique is to hypnotise you through calls so that you would reveal all the bank account information to that person. It's actually happening now in Jalan Ipoh, KL.

Scams. Scams everywhere. Be careful and stay safe, everybody.

3 comments:

  1. Hello guys, if you ever got cheated by the scammer over the Internet,
    here is a good website to recommend for you: http://scamhint.com

    As we find out that there is actually no way to search for the scammer details,
    except through Google or find it in forum using CTRL + F which is so inefficient,
    so we decided to build this website and try to help the Malaysia community,
    in order to decrease the scammer cases in Malaysia.

    Together we build a better online shopping experience for Malaysia,
    feedback is welcome too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ze, I think u can try selling on Carousell? Its an app on phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I heard of Carousell. Haha. But mudah really convenient! We sold 2 electronic items through Mudah d.

      Delete