Saturday, May 9, 2015

Bangkok Trip 2015 (Day 1 & Day 2)

I finally have the time to blog about my Bangkok Trip! I'm going to split it up into a few posts because I have a lot to say about this trip. Everything went well, better than expected. However, the draft itinerary that I wrote earlier on wasn't followed entirely. Here's my draft itinerary.


Day 1 (2/5/15)

Flight at 4.25P.M. and landed in BKK at 5.35P.M. (local time). Thailand is one hour behind Malaysia. 2 hours flight from KLIA2 to Don Muang Airport.

Bangkok Transit System (BTS) Map

We took A1 bus from Don Muang Airport to Mo Chit Station. You don't need to buy the bus ticket beforehand. Just follow the signage of 'Bus/Taxi' and wait for the A1 bus. A1 buses operate from 8.30A.M. to 11.30P.M. everyday and it runs about 1-2 times per hour. The fare was 30baht. It took us 30 minutes to reach Mo Chit Station from Don Muang Airport and another 30 minutes to reach On Nut Station from Mo Chit Station. One-way journey from Mo Chit to On Nut costs 42baht. Our hotel was just a few steps away from On Nut BTS so it was really convenient. I was unsure where the exact location of our hotel was so we took a taxi from the BTS Station. The taxi driver just drove straight for about 10 seconds and made a left turning. TADA. We had reached our destination. Damn. 35baht gone just like that. We took a metered taxi and the meter didn't even jump. The starting fare was 35baht for every taxi. One gentle reminder - you have to insist on paying according to the meter BEFORE you get onto the taxi because taxi drivers in Bangkok would usually scam you into paying a ridiculous amount for a really short journey.

I was surprised when we reached the hotel because it was rather modern. The only thing I hate about that hotel was the attitude of the staffs at front desk. Imagine being greeted with scornful faces after having a long day. That was exactly how we felt upon our arrival. Didn't manage to take photos of the hotel though. We stayed at At Mind Executive Suites in Sukhumvit. On Nut Station was rather far from all the other stations so I would probably stay at somewhere near Asok or Siam next time. Didn't really have the time to explore Sukhumvit though.

Anyways, we went to Tesco Lotus for our dinner on the first night as we were too tired to travel to any other places. Food sucks at the food court so yeah. JH and I spent 85baht on our dinner. His fish rice was 65baht and I had 4 pieces of sushi (disgusting sushi), each piece costing 5baht. Don't even remind me about the sushi.

Day 2 (3/5/15)

Breakfast at the hotel was terrible too. Disappointing.. But we didn't let bad food ruin our mood that day!


Chatuchak Market. Love the blue sky and the clouds that day.

We went to Chatuchak Weekend Market after breakfast. One thing I learned from this trip was to spend the entire day at Chatuchak instead of just 2-3 hours because you can literally shop till you drop at Chatuchak. I'm not saying that the goods there are cheap (okay, maybe cheap but not dirt cheap), it's because Chatuchak is too big so you need at least a minimum of 4 hours there. That's just my opinion though. Some people might not like it there because the weather in Bangkok is scorching hot.  But you can always buy some fresh coconuts there! It would give you an instant relief. Btw, coconuts in Thailand are really yummy. I don't know why but it's a fact. We had at least 4-5 coconuts throughout our trip. :D

We spent only about 3 hours there and it wasn't enough. Spent about 1870baht there.



This freshly squeezed orange juice was tasty too!


Us at Chatuchak Market

We bought one-day BTS pass on our second day. A one-day pass costs 130baht and you can ride to as many stations as you want until midnight. So it was quite worth it as we traveled a lot via BTS on our second day.

Okay, now the directions there. We traveled from On Nut Station to Mo Chit Station. The journey was 30 minutes. Take Exit 1 when you reach Mo Chit Station then just follow the crowd. Haha. I am serious. Just go down from the sky bridge and follow the crowd. You would pass by Chatuchak Park on your right hand side. Walk straight for 3-5 minutes.

Next up was MBK. Regretted going there because it was a let down after going to Chatuchak Market. We took BTS from Mo Chit Station to Siam (CEN) Station. MBK is somewhere near one of the exits of National Stadium Station. We went to Fifth Avenue on the 5th floor to have our lunch in MBK. It's an international food court so they charge you international price for their food. HAHA. JH spent 263baht there and I shared tomyam with JH's bro's gf.

After that we took a taxi to Chocolate Ville. We booked a table there and our reservation was at 5P.M. so we started our journey at 4P.M. Let me tell you this, it was so difficult to find a metered taxi to Chocolate Ville that we almost gave up going there. In the end we negotiated with one of the taxi drivers who offered to take us to and fro for 700baht. We had no choice but to accept that offer. Normal flat rate charged by taxi drivers to Chocolate Ville is 400baht per trip. So 700baht was already a bargain.

In my opinion, you can really scrape off Chocolate Ville from your itinerary if you're don't like to take photos. Because all you do at Chocolate Ville is eat and take photo. There's only one restaurant there so you either dine there after taking photos or leave after taking photos. HAHA. See how much I emphasized on TAKING PHOTOS? Because honestly that is what you do there. Nothing much.

Btw, it's better to make a reservation if you decide to dine there. I made a reservation via their Facebook page and my reservation was cancelled because I was 10 minutes late. They only hold your table for 5 minutes max. So remember to be punctual.

 


I love light house!

 

 Now time for some food photos.



Salad. HAHA. I know it's obvious. I just want to state the obvious. Hahaha.

This was chicken gordon bleu. I think.

Pineapple fried rice.

Their signature pork ribs. And my finger.

Can't remember the exact price of every dish but it was about 200-400baht per dish on average. Now, photos of us! :D

 




I had to tip-toe because I was too short. HAHA.

Group photo of the day!

We left Chocolate Ville at 8P.M. The taxi driver was waiting for us. He dropped us back to Mo Chit Station and we took BTS to On Nut. 

Then we went for a massage! The massage parlour was very near to our hotel so we went back to the hotel to take a quick shower first. Full body massage for one hour was 250baht and foot massage for one hour was 300baht. JH and I went for the full body massage package and the bro and the gf went for foot massage. We were placed in the same room on the second floor for body massage. I laughed so hard when the massage therapist tried an 'aeroplane act' on him. I call it the aeroplane act because you have to spread your arms wide apart and the therapist would hold you from behind and both of you would be 'flying' like an aeroplane. HAHAHAHAHA. Omg what did I just type. What the hell. Now the images of that night came flooding into my mind and I'm sitting here laughing like an idiot again. HAHAHA. I was also mistaken for JH's wife and he just smiled and said no, not yet, just gf. NOT YET. Deep inside I was smiling like an idiot. HAHA. Okay, end of our massage story.

That's all for my first and second day in Bangkok. Shall continue my Day 3 some other time. Extra information are stated below.


  • Hotel room per night - RM157.50 (tax included)   
  • Return flight via Air Asia - RM628 for 2 pax (price inclusive of tax, 20KG baggage to BKK and 25KG baggage from BKK)
  • Operating hours
  1. BTS - 6A.M.-12A.M.
  2. A1 Bus - 8.30A.M. - 11.30A.M.
  3. Chocolate Ville - 4P.M.-12A.M.
  4. Chatuchak Market - 6A.M.-6P.M.

1 comment: