Friday, September 9, 2016

Hong Kong Day 1 - Sun Kee Pork Cheese Noodles, Stanley, Authentic Dai Pai Dong & Hoi Kee Walnut Place

Just came back from Hong Kong a month ago and it was really fun! Many of my friends thought I was crazy to go to HK for 9 days (I thought so too) but happy to say that I wasn't crazy after all. I'm finally having some motivation to blog about my HK trip (despite still being lazy) because many of my friends are asking me to send them my itinerary. So here goes!

First and foremost, here's the breakdown of the total cost of my entire trip:-

  1. Flight (Air Asia) - RM 853.16 (only bought baggage and did not buy any travel insurance / in-flight meals) [baggage - 25kg (KUL-HKG); 20kg + 20kg (HKG-KUL)]
  2. Hotel (Airbnb) - RM 1,434.00 (for 8 nights, RM179.25/night)
  3. Cash that I brought there - RM 4,235.00 (which is equivalent to 8,700 HKD)
  4. Balance of cash at the end of the trip - (RM 300) (around 600 HKD)
TOTAL EXPENSES INCURRED FOR 2 PAX (ALL IN) FOR 9 DAYS 8 NIGHTS - RM 6,222.16


Day 1 - 30/09/2016 (Saturday)

We reached Hong Kong International Airport at roughly around 11.15AM and my cousin was already waiting at the arrival hall. I was lucky enough to have relatives in HK who brought me around throughout my 9 days there. So, I really couldn't thank them enough. :')

Then my cousin's bf drove us to our Airbnb hostel to check-in but the check-in time was from 3PM onwards so we just left our luggage along the corridor of the hostel. Here's the link to the Airbnb hostel - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9292007. Overall, the building itself was very old, the room was too small and there were no windows in the room. Thus, the lack of air ventilation in the room. However, the room and the washroom were both clean and Jordan MTR Exit B1 was right in front of the building so I really can't complain much.

First thing to do upon reaching the airport is to buy an Octopus Card. Octopus can be used to ride almost all types of public transportation in HK. Most of the convenience stores such as 7-Eleven accepts payment via Octopus so it is really convenient.

HK MTR System Map - http://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/routemap.pdf

Octopus Fare Chart - http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/octopus_fares.html

You can use the Train Trip Planner on the website above to get a rough estimate on the fare charged from one station to another designated station so it's really convenient.

In addition to that, this website helps me to plan better too. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp

Sun Kee Pork Cheese Noodles (新記芝士麵)

I did my research on where to eat in HK and this was definitely one of the must-go places when you're in HK. I came here for late lunch and the crowd wasn't so bad. My cousin, who is a Hongkie, said that she loved the pork neck cheese noodles here!

This is the bomb! Pork neck cheese noodles. 47 HKD

I know it doesn't look appetizing at all, but trust me, it was that good. Who knows maggie mee + cheese goes so well? I expected the pork neck to be dry but NOOOO it was the complete opposite. The meat was so tender and moist that it literally melted in my mouth.


Baby ordered this. Egg with sausage cheese noodles. 44 HKD.
Squid tentacles with sweet honey sauce. Direct translation from the menu is honey dragon beard haha. 50 HKD
A cup of iced lemon tea to finish off the meal! 20 HKD
If you don't read Chinese, the pork neck cheese noodles is the second one (47 HKD) and the sausage and egg cheese noodles is the third one (44 HKD).
 
And if you want to try their pork neck, sausage and also egg, just go ahead and order the first one (58 HKD) which is a combination of 3 of these ingredients.


The drinks menu.
They have 2 branches in HK. One in Tsim Tsa Tsui and another one in Wan Chai. I went to the one in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Wan Chai Branch
Address: 3 Burrows Street, Wan Chai (灣仔巴路士街3號地下)
Opening Hours: 7.30am to 11.00pm (Daily)
Directions: MTR Wan Chai Station – A4 Exit Google Map


Tsim Sha Tsui Branch
Address: Champagne Court 16-20, GF 13-14, Kimberley Rd Tsim Sha Tsui
(尖沙咀金巴利道16-20號香檳大廈地下13-14號舖)
Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 7:30AM – 11:00PM; Sun 12:00PM – 6:00PM
Directions: MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station - Exit B1 or B2. Champagne Court is just opposite The Mira hotel. Google Map

Stanley (赤柱)

After our satisfying first meal, we headed over to Stanley. Stanley is quite far from Tsim Sha Tsui by the way. The winding road made me dizzy too. We decided to come here because we had too much time in hand. So, why not pay it a visit right?

We parked our car at Stanley Plaza.
 
 


Murray House at Stanley.
We also went to Stanley Market to just take a look but didn't buy anything from the market as the things there were pricey. We stayed for only 1-2 hours before heading back to Jordan to check-in to our hostel room. I'm sure it would be nice to just have dinner at one of the restaurants there overlooking the gorgeous view at night.

For detailed information regarding the directions here - http://www.hongkongstanleymarket.com/getting-here/public-transport

Authentic Dai Pai Dong at Shum Shui Po

My cousin treated us dinner at this authentic dai pai dong at Shum Shui Po. It was nothing spectacular to be honest but we enjoyed being there! Here are food pictures from that day. (I honestly don't remember the names to the dishes that we've ordered)


This is yummy!!









I've never seen this brand in Malaysia before and I think that this is even better than Heineken!

Total cost of this dinner was 320 HKD.

Hoi Kee Walnut Place (海记)

Then of course we went to have desserts! There were many choices of dessert shops in HK but in the end we went to Hoi Kee Walnut Place (海记).


 
 

I love the one on the left! Black sesame glutinous rice balls in ginger soup!  
 
This is glutinous rice balls coated with sugar, white and black sesame. It was good!
We ordered those desserts for sharing and we were too full to even move after finishing them all. We paid 135 HKD in total for the desserts shown above.
 
Hoi Kee Walnut Place232 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Prince Edward
 
Directions: Google Map
MTR Mong Kok Station - Exit B3 or
MTR Prince Edward Station - Exit B1
 
Will continue my day 2 in another post! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment